FAQ: What does glazing my cabinets mean?

Have you heard the term “glazing” during your cabinet refinishing information search and wondered what exactly it means? We are here to explain so you can decide if it’s a good design choice for YOU!

Glazing is a premium finish regularly referred to as antiquing or distressing. The glaze is a transparent or semi-transparent coating that is applied after painting or staining to add color and depth. There are two common glaze styles and often both are applied. First is adding line work to the grooves and corners of your cabinets. This technique is sometimes referred to as accent glazing because it accentuates any architectural detail without affecting the primary color of paint or stain. Second, the glaze is applied to the whole door and wiped off with a rag and/or brush. This method slightly darkens or lightens your overall color and leaves a subtle brush-stroked appearance, creating a custom one-of-a-kind finish that makes your kitchen uniquely your own.

Here at Brush & Roll Painting, all glazing is done by the hands of one of our trained professionals using various techniques depending on the look you choose. Because color and glaze choices are endless we offer color consultations to help find the best colors for your kitchen.
Below is a before and after of a glazed kitchen we finished recently. We also have many examples of glazing in our showroom, we welcome you to come check them out in person!